Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Richard Jessup Roberts - Dad - Obit

Sigh ...

RICHARD JESSUP ROBERTS died from a stroke on January 13, 2010 at Stamford Hospital.

He was born May 31, 1930 in Stamford, the son of Samuel W. Roberts and Gladys Jessup Roberts. A graduate of Stamford High School and Yale University, where he studied art and zoology, he worked for a number of years at the Stamford Museum and Nature Center where he served as Curator of Exhibits and head of the Nature Center zoo and farm.

After retirement he devoted his time to painting, drawing and sculpture and pursuing his interests in history and horticulture. As an enthusiastic volunteer at the Stamford Historical Society, he worked with groups that helped with the restoration and maintenance of Fort Stamford and researched and documented many ancient burial grounds throughout Stamford.

The Historical Society honored him at the 2009 Annual Meeting by awarding him the Virginia T. Davis Distinguished Service Award for outstanding volunteerism.

He is survived by his son, Jeffrey Roberts and his wife, Barbara Hyle of North Andover, Mass.; his daughter, Alison Andrade and her husband, Mitch of Waldoboro, Maine; his son, Kent Roberts of Portland, Maine; two grandchildren; and by his brother, John W. Roberts of Greenwich. He is also survived by many friends with whom he shared his interests.

A memorial service will be scheduled at a later date to be announced by the family.

Anyone wishing to make a donation in his memory may send it to the Stamford Historical Society Library Fund, 1508 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06903.

Published in Stamford Advocate on January 20, 2010

2 comments:

Amy Eisenberg, Ph.D. said...

Dear Jeff and family,

I wish you all comfort during this profoundly reflective time.....

I just received your package today and my heart was gladdened to see your father's works of art and nature that he lovingly created and nurtured with his gentle and strong hands. Dick never went to Asia yet his Japanese garden and freed bonsai trees bear the spirit of the Orient. I enjoyed seeing Dick's Arboretum and Botanical Garden again in the photos. Would you like for me to return them to you sometime?

This evening under a starless sky, I anointed the Redwood trees, paper birch and succulents that surround my home with Dick's ashes. Tomorrow I will give some to my Richard J. Roberts Memorial Garden on Santa Rosa Creek and will send some down the creek, which will flow into the Pacific Ocean. This way, all the places that Dick was not able to visit, he will travel ubiquitously and these places will be blessed with the beautiful spirit of my precious friend who taught me so many good things about life and living beings.

I am honored to have had the opportunity to share these gifts of life with Dick.
May his memory of kindness and compassion be a blessing and an inspiration to all of us.
I am very thankful for the love within his family and your respect, honor and appreciation for your outstanding father, who enriched our lives in myriad ways.

Thank you, dear Jeff for sharing the very special and beautiful ceremonial urn and Dick's Arboretum and Botanical Garden photos with me. I am deeply honored to be a part of Dick's family.

May we reflect on the beauty of life and how precious and short it is as we remember your extraordinary and beloved father and friend.

With love and respect,
Amy

Amy Eisenberg, Ph.D.
Sonoma County Indian Health Project
International Society of Ethnobiology
520-449-3244

I hope that the new residents of Dick's house will appreciate and respect the incredible Living Collection of international plant species that Dick cultivated.

Amy Eisenberg, Ph.D. said...

Dear Jeff and family

I am deeply honored that you shared your father's ashes with me in the beautifully engraved urn. I will care for them respectfully.

The plants in the Richard J. Roberts Memorial Garden are growing strong and beautifully along Santa Rosa Creek. I feel your dear father with me as I work. I could write a book about him. This morning I sent his ashes down Sant Rosa Creek beneath alder trees and their spreading roots, to the Russian River and on to the Pacific Ocean. I lit a ceremonial fire of lavender in his memory in my garden where I spread his ashes. Somehow I feel that Dick would approve of this way. I will carry this little urn of Dick's ashes wherever I reside and work.

Please let me know how I can help your family in any way, dear Jeff. Your father remains in my heart for all time. He is a friend of integrity who I have trusted implicitly with heart. This is very rare in this life.

Blessings of comfort, friendship, love and kindness for your and your loved ones.

Shalom,
Amy

Amy Eisenberg, Ph.D.
Sonoma County Indian Health Project
Center for World Indigenous Studies
International Society of Ethnobiology
USA
520-449-3244